NFL Wire News

Rivers ‘willing to listen’ to Chargers

on

The Sports Xchange

San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers says he is “willing to listen to anything” regarding a contract extension but he doesn’t seem committed to remaining the team’s quarterback after 2015.

On Friday, Rivers told U-T San Diego that there are “a lot of moving parts and lots to think about: location, family, team. … All I can say at this point regarding an extension is I’m willing to listen to anything. I’m also willing to play it out. I’m just fired up to be the Chargers’ QB in 2015.”

Rivers, 33, is entering the final season of a six-year, $91.8 million contract that will pay him $15.75 million in 2015.

The Chargers met with Rivers’ agent last week to discuss a new deal, FOX Sports reported Wednesday.

Rivers’ future with the Chargers has been in question since reports surfaced that he declined a contract extension because he is wary of the team’s possible move to Los Angeles.

In addition, there had been speculation that the Chargers might try to move up in the draft to select Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota. The Tennessee Titans ended up picking Mariota No. 2 overall on Thursday.

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said last week “it’s our plan and intent” for Rivers to remain the team’s quarterback.

The Chargers also told Rivers that he won’t be traded, U-T San Diego reported Thursday.

Rivers has been the Chargers’ quarterback ever since replacing Drew Brees in 2006, setting numerous club records and approaching many of Dan Fouts’ marks while climbing the NFL charts. The five-time Pro Bowl quarterback has thrown for 36,655 yards, 252 touchdowns and 122 interceptions. His 95.7 rating ranks sixth in NFL history.


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business