NFL Wire News

Report: Steelers QB Jones to start vs. Chiefs

on

The Sports Xchange

Quarterback Landry Jones will make his first NFL start for the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs, according to ESPN’s Ed Werder.

Jones took 85 percent of the first-team practice reps this week and Ben Roethlisberger took the other 15 percent and looked good enough to play, ESPN reported.

Head coach Mike Tomlin has yet to decide whether Roethlisberger or untested Tyler Murphy will be the backup against the Chiefs.

Roethlisberger has missed the last three games with a sprained MCL and bone bruise to his left knee, and would have to wear a knee brace for the first time.

Roethlisberger, listed as questionable on the injury report, has never missed four consecutive games because of injury in his career.

Murphy, a quarterback/wide receiver, was promoted from the practice squad to the active roster on Saturday to provide Tomlin with options if he decided against having Roethlisberger active. Murphy took scout team reps this week

The Steelers’ quarterback situation is further complicated because backup Michael Vick is out with a hamstring injury.

Vick started in Roethlisberger’s absence but he left the Week 6 win over the Arizona Cardinals in the third quarter with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Jones, who led four second-half scoring drives to help the Steelers win.


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business