NFL Wire News

NFL notebook: Pagano plans to coach Colts for ‘years to come’

on

Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano released a statement to downplay his job security with the team.

Pagano is entering the final season of his original four-year deal, and reportedly the Colts won’t offer him a contract extension before the 2015 season begins.

Pagano released a statement Friday night suggesting he plans to be with the Colts for a long time.

“Be where your feet are,” Pagano wrote. “What do I mean? Cancer taught me to be thankful for today. All I’m concentrating on is today. Then tomorrow. My focus right now is on the draft, bringing in players that can help us continue to grow, get better, and continue to ‘Build the Monster.’ I look forward to coaching the Colts this season and for many years to come.”

Since taking over the Colts, Pagano has helped lead the franchise to three consecutive 11-5 seasons that included trips to the playoffs. This past season, the Colts reached the AFC Championship and lost to the New England Patriots 45-7.

According to an NFL.com report on Thursday, the Colts have no plans to extend Pagano before next season. Another report said the Colts offered Pagano a one-year extension with a small salary increase, which he declined.

—Minnesota Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway has taken a pay cut that will give the team more than $3.2 million in salary cap relief, according to reports Saturday.

ESPN.com reported that Greenway’s base salary for 2015, the final year of his deal with Minnesota, has been reduced from $7 million to $3.4 million. Greenway will receive $1 million in guaranteed money and can make up to $600,000 from various bonuses.

The restructured deal creates $3.225 million in cap space for the Vikings. The 32-year-old Greenway previously would have counted $8.8 million against the cap.

Greenway, a two-time Pro Bowler, has played his entire eight-year career with the Vikings after being drafted in the first round in 2006. He recorded a career-low 93 tackles last season despite appearing in just 12 games. In his career, he has recorded 992 total tackles, 15.5 sacks, 30 passes defensed, nine interceptions and eight forced fumbles.

—The New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, San Diego Chargers and Washington Redskins are among the teams planning to privately work out former Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota.

The New York Daily News reported Friday that Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, head coach Todd Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, director of college scouting Rex Hogan and director of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger will all be in Eugene, Ore., this weekend to watch Mariota at the Ducks’ facilities. The Jets have the No. 6 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

NFLDraftScout.com ranks Mariota as the No. 2 quarterback in the draft behind Florida State’s Jameis Winston, the likely No. 1 pick by the Buccaneers.

NFL Media’s Albert Breer reported Saturday that the Bucs will work out Mariota on April 7, the Chargers on April 15 and the Redskins are setting up a visit in Ashburn, Va. The Tennessee Titans, who have the No. 2 pick, also have scheduled visits with Mariota.

—Linebacker Jadeveon Clowney of the Houston Texans, who underwent a second knee surgery on Dec. 8, was walking without a limp at a promotional event on Saturday and said he his progressing in his rehab.

Clowney, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2014 NFL Draft out of South Carolina, sustained a torn lateral meniscus and articular cartilage damage in the Texans’ opener and had arthroscopic knee surgery the next day.

“Very encouraged,” Clowney said. “Everything is looking good right now for me. I’m feeling better than I was previously. Just hoping to stay on this track and work towards getting back.”


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business