NFL Wire News

NFL notebook: Galette’s lawyer denies video shows his client

on

The Sports Xchange

New Orleans Saints linebacker Junior Galette’s attorney is not convinced the video showing a man striking a woman with a belt in a video released of a 2013 scuffle is his client.

Galette’s attorney, Ralph Whalen, told the New Orleans Advocate that he does not believe the man in the video is Galette.

“I’ve seen it a bunch of times,” Whalen said. “It certainly doesn’t convince me that it’s Junior. I don’t know what basis anyone can look at that video and say that it’s Junior.”

The video was uploaded to YouTube in 2013, but the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported Saturday that the man shown assaulting people on a beach is Galette, who is already scheduled to meet with NFL officials at the league office in New York later this month about his off-field conduct.

In the video titled “Spring Break 2013 South Beach Brawl” and published March 25, 2013, Galette strikes a woman twice with a belt in the midst of a scuffle, according to the newspaper.

The Saints said Saturday that the organization is aware of the video and sent it to the NFL office.

“We were made aware of the video and we sent it to the league office,” Saints spokesman Greg Bensel said. “There is a process this will go through at the league-office level and we are waiting on that to be determined.”

In the video that was recorded by an onlooker, a man who appears to be Galette fights another man using his belt. He then swings the belt at the surrounding group and strikes a woman twice with it. Later on, he shoves several people and throws a punch.

Galette, 27, was arrested for simple battery involving domestic violence on Jan. 5 at his home in Kenner, La., after a 22-year-old woman called police and alleged that Galette beat her. The charge against Galette was dismissed Feb. 19 after Kenner city attorney Mike Power said interviews with witnesses cast doubt on whether the alleged victim was a member of the household.

—Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Devon Still received some nice Father’s Day news when he revealed his 5-year-old daughter Leah will be getting out of the hospital Monday.

The father and daughter celebrated the news that Leah will be leaving Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia with a video posted to Devon’s Instagram account.

Leah was diagnosed one year ago with Stage 4 neuroblastoma, a rare form of pediatric cancer that originally left her with a 50 percent chance of survival.

Leah had returned to the hospital for medical attention due to complications from stem cell transplants she received as part of her cancer treatments.

Still is thankful on this Father’s Day as his daughter fights her courageous battle.

“Fatherhood means everything to me,” he told reporters who cover the Bengals last week. “When you have a daughter like mine, it’s easy to be a father to a kid like that. It’s easy to love a kid with everything you have when you have a daughter like that.”

Leah has spent seven weeks in the hospital, but Still said the latest treatments are working.

—A horse owned by NFL free agent wide receiver Wes Welker won a major race in England on Saturday.

Undrafted, a 14-1 shot ridden by Frankie Dettori, raced to victory by a half length over Brazen Beau, the 7-2 favorite, in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot on the final day of the meet.

“I can’t believe I didn’t make the trip over! Can’t believe we won! @gatewoodbell and Wesley Ward #bestinthebiz,” Welker said on Twitter.

The 5-year-old horse, which was named to reflect Welker not being picked in the 2004 NFL Draft, was trained by American Wesley Ward. The win was Ward’s first in a Group One race in England.


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business