NFL Wire News

NFL notebook: Galette appears to hit woman with belt in video

on

The Sports Xchange

New Orleans Saints linebacker Junior Galette appears to strike a woman with a belt in a video released of a 2013 scuffle on a beach that was recorded by an onlooker.

The video was uploaded to YouTube in 2013, but the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported Saturday that the man shown assaulting people is Galette, who is already scheduled to meet with NFL officials at the league office in New York later this month about his off-field conduct.

In the video titled “Spring Break 2013 South Beach Brawl” and published March 25, 2013, Galette strikes a woman twice with a belt in the midst of a scuffle, according to the newspaper.

The Saints said Saturday that the organization is aware of the video and sent it to the NFL office.

The NFL had no comment on the video and Galette’s agent, Alvin Keels, did not respond to requests for comment from the Times-Picayune. Galette’s attorney, Ralph Whalen, previously told media outlets that his client is not the person in the video.

In the video, a man who appears to be Galette fights another man using his belt. He then swings the belt at the surrounding group and strikes a woman twice with it. Later on, he shoves several people and throws a punch.

Galette, 27, was arrested for simple battery involving domestic violence on Jan. 5 at his home in Kenner, La., after a 22-year-old woman called police and alleged that Galette beat her. The charge against Galette was dismissed Feb. 19 after Kenner city attorney Mike Power said interviews with witnesses cast doubt on whether the alleged victim was a member of the household.

—Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson has donated $100,000 to the families of the nine victims killed in the shooting in Charleston, S.C., and to the church where the murders occurred.

Richardson sent $10,000 per family of the victims for funeral costs and another $10,000 to Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church as a memorial honoring the victims.

“We don’t want to comment on the specifics of the donation, but know our hearts are one with those who grieve the loss of these individuals,” Panthers spokesman Steven Drummond said in a text to the Charlotte Observer.

Those killed in the attack Wednesday night were: senior pastor Clementa Pinckney, 41; assistant pastor Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45; Tywanza Sanders, 26; Ethel Lance, 70; Susie Jackson, 87; Cynthia Hurd, 54; Myra Thompson, 59; Daniel Simmons Sr., 74; and DePayne Middleton Doctor, 49.

The $100,000 donation by the Panthers founder was made in a letter sent Friday to the Mother Emanuel Hope fund. The letter was shared by Bakari Sellers, a Democratic member of the South Carolina House of Representatives, on Twitter.

—Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota is the only unsigned first-round pick from the 2015 NFL Draft, but the team doesn’t seem concerned.

Titans general manager Ruston Webster said Friday he doesn’t see a problem getting a deal done soon with the second overall pick.

“It’s going like most contract situations go about this time of year,” Webster told ESPN’s Paul Kuharsky on Nashville’s 104.5 The Zone. “We have had good conversations. We’ll continue to have good conversations. Looking forward to getting that done and him being in here for camp.

“I personally don’t see there being a major issue. … I don’t concern myself too much with it if a guy misses a few days. We’ve had good talks. We’re motivated. Marcus is motivated. So I would expect that we would be able to get something done. As you said, we have plenty of time right now, so we’ll just see where it all goes.”

The Titans finished mandatory minicamp on Thursday and players will report for training camp on July 30, with practice starting the next day.

—Fred Davis’ comeback attempt with New England ended Friday when the Patriots cut the veteran tight end.

Davis was trying to return to the NFL after missing the 2014 season because of a suspension.

The 29-year-old Davis signed a one-year contract with the Patriots on May 11, four days after his reinstatement from an indefinite suspension for a second violation of the league’s substance abuse policy. He participated in New England’s minicamp that concluded this week.

—Safety Taylor Mays, released by the Minnesota Vikings this week, agreed to a deal with the Detroit Lions.

His agent, Fadde Mikhail, confirmed the agreement to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The 27-year-old Mays, a former second-round draft pick out of USC, started just four games over four years with the Cincinnati Bengals since his rookie season. He was used primarily on special teams.


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business