NFL Wire News

NFL clears Bears DE McDonald in only one case

on

The Sports Xchange

Chicago Bears defensive end Ray McDonald has been cleared by the NFL after its domestic-violence investigation, but the league continues to look at his alleged sexual-assault incident.

McDonald, who signed with the Bears last month to a one-year, $1.05 million contract that doesn’t include any guaranteed money, was allowed to play for the San Francisco 49ers amid the domestic-violence accusation last year.

The NFL has confirmed that it investigated McDonald and cleared him of any violation of the personal-conduct policy.

“We have completed that (domestic-violence) investigation,” NFL general counsel Jeff Pash told the Associated Press Sports Editors on Friday. ”(Special counsel for investigations) Lisa (Friel) and her team completed that investigation (and) did not establish a violation of the personal-conduct policy. We informed the player and the (NFL) Players Association.”

However, McDonald is also being investigated in connection with an alleged sexual assault. McDonald has not been charged in that case and he has said he will sue the woman who accused him.

”Just to be clear, Ray McDonald had two issues, as you may remember — one related to a domestic-violence incident and one related to an alleged sexual assault,” Friel said. ”It’s the domestic-violence incident that we have finished investigating and didn’t find sufficient evidence to say that he violated the personal-conduct policy. The sexual-assault incident, that investigation is ongoing. That has not been completed, nor has the district attorney’s office in Santa Clara County completed their investigation into that matter.”

McDonald was arrested Aug. 31, 2014, on suspicion of felony domestic violence in San Jose, Calif., but no charges were filed because of insufficient evidence. Pash said McDonald was informed of the NFL’s ruling a few weeks ago.

The 49ers released McDonald in December after allegations that police were investigating him on suspicion of sexual assault. San Jose police began that investigation on Dec. 16, 2014, after a hospital reported a possible victim. McDonald hasn’t been charged.

Since 2011, McDonald started 56 games for the 49ers, including 14 last season. He had 39 tackles and three sacks in 2014. In his eight-year NFL career, all with the 49ers, McDonald has 210 career tackles, 19 1/2 sacks and one interception.


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business