NFL Wire News

Chargers’ All-Pro Weddle won’t get new deal this year

on

The Sports Xchange

With the San Diego Chargers working on new contracts for quarterback Philip Rivers and defensive tackle Corey Liuget, Pro Bowl safety Eric Weddle apparently will not get a new deal this year.

The Chargers have told Weddle’s agent, David Canter, that they will not discuss a new deal with him until after the season.

“We’re disappointed and will continue to be disappointed,” Canter told UT San Diego on Monday. “But Eric will go all out this season. He’ll be excited about playing this year and then hit free agency.”

Weddle, 30, has been absent from voluntary workouts as he sought a new contract.

Weddle, who was named a first-team All-Pro last season, is entering the final year of his contract and is due to be paid $7.5 million. Last month, he said he felt “highly disrespected” by the Chargers because they had not addressed his contract.

General manager Tom Telesco has said Weddle is among the veterans the team would like to extend.


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business