NFL Wire News

Bears RB Forte won’t hold out for new deal

on

The Sports Xchange

While Chicago Bears teammate Martellus Bennett holds out seeking a new contract, running back Matt Forte said Thursday that he will not.

Forte was absent from voluntary workouts and a three-day minicamp this week, but he told Chicago’s WSCR-AM that he won’t hold out from mandatory work.

In the final year of his contract, Forte said he met with first-year general manager Ryan Pace earlier this offseason to talk about a new deal.

“Like I told Ryan when we talked about it … I wouldn’t hold any grudges or anything,” Forte said. “Everybody says you could hold out and use it as leverage. I’m not that type of dude to do that at this point. … If they want to give me a contract extension and have me return as a Chicago Bear and play my entire career here, they can do that. If they don’t, then they won’t. It’s as simple as that. I’m not going to hold out.”

Forte, who turns 30 in December, is in the final year of a four-year, $30.4 million contract and will be paid $8.2 million.

The Bears’ second-round pick in 2008, Forte has rushed for 7,704 yards and also caught 443 passes and scored 57 touchdowns.


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business