NFL Wire News

Agent told Vikings won’t cut Peterson

on

Adrian Peterson’s agent has been told that the Minnesota Vikings will not release the star running back, his agent told multiple media outlets.

Agent Ben Dogra said Wednesday night that Vikings general manager Rick Spielman told him of the team’s decision earlier in the day.

“It was important for me to relay the position the Vikings are taking to Adrian,” Dogra told Fox Sports. “I want to make sure there is absolutely no confusion whatsoever.”

Peterson reportedly flew to New York on Monday for a meeting with Viking owners Zygi and Mark Wilf, plus Spielman, about his concerns over a return to Minnesota next season.

As late as last month, the NFL’s 2012 most valuable player told ESPN he was “still uneasy” about coming back to the Vikings after the team placed him on the commissioner’s exempt list in September.

Peterson, who will be 30 on Saturday, pleaded no contest on Nov. 4 to misdemeanor reckless injury after using a switch to discipline his 4-year-old son in May.

He was suspended on Nov. 18 for the rest of the season.

Federal judge David Doty ordered the NFL to vacate Peterson’s suspension on Feb. 26, and the NFL put Peterson back on the commissioner’s exempt list.

Peterson has three years left on his six-year, $96-million deal, including $12.75 million next season, with a $15.4 million cap hit.

The Vikings’ other option would be to trade him.


About The Sports Xchange

Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business